Saturday, July 28, 2018

It Ain't Fair Part 2

University Michigan coach Bo Schembechler told his team on their first meeting “I I am going to treat you all the same, like dogs.” Does this mean that he’s going to, absolutely and under all conditions, treat all his players equally? To learn more about fairness, Schembechler, Darden, Keller, Betts, McKenzie and Brandstatter, consult Bo’s Warriors Bo Schembechler and the Transformation of Michigan Football. In the early 1980s, I purchased my first equine Nowata from Veryl Lybert, a smart no-nonsense cowboy, originally from the province of Alberta, Canada. Veryl told me that he preferred to enter horse competitions that did not have a subjective quality. He said,” like in a horse race, when the first horse crosses the finish line, it’s the winner.” Incidentally, Veyl’s oldest boy won the title of “all-around cowboy” on the rodeo circuit numerous times. Veryl was correct, when possible, take subjectivity out of the equation. My younger sister told me of a recent conversation with our brother. I’m the oldest, followed by my brother, and then my sister. My brother reminded her that he complained to our mother that it was unfair that he had to go downstairs to the refrigerator and bring up a watermelon. Why couldn’t she ask our sister? That early memory is still etched in his brain .It’s still remains unfair. It will always be unfair to him. However, being a good son, my brother, the physician was with mom until the end. Thank you, brother. In the 90s, I went on a trail run along a creek in the Bay Area. When I returned to my car, after the run, I could not open my door as I had left my keys inside the car. I called AAA to unlock my car. I was told that my soon-to-be ex-wife had taken my name off the AAA membership. At that moment I was surprised. AAA came anyway, and unlocked my car door. History and the evolution of Homo sapiens, provide too many illustrations of favoritism, wars, killings, persecution, prejudice, economic inequality, sexual abuse along with the cliché “the person coming in second place is the first loser. “With man being narcissistic, prejudiced, and irrational, along with primary needs of survival and secondary needs of aggression, dominance and exhibition, it’s no wonder that words like compromise, rule of law, democracy, affirmative action, level the playing field depict an attempt to create fairness between and among individuals. Good luck with your memories of unfairness. Laughter is better than resentment. PS Thom Darden, Reggie McKenzie, Mike Keller, Jim Betts, Jim Brandstatter and I are currently working on a project based on Bo’s Warriors and the Transformation of Michigan Football Bo to bring their stories to the big screen in a full-length feature movie. I’ll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment