Friday, May 18, 2018

The Pill

I recently became aware, thanks to the February 26, 2018 edition of Time, of a relatively new antiaging product in this $250 billion industry. This molecule is found in all living cells and critical for regulating cellular aging and maintaining proper functioning of the whole body. It is called nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide or NAD +. According to David Sinclair a co-director for the Biology of Aging at Harvard Medical School, “It’s one of the most important molecules for life to exist, and without it, you’re dead within 30 seconds.” During aging, levels of NAD+ in people and animals diminish. Recently, researchers found that by increasing levels of NAD+ in older mice it resulted in them looking, acting younger and it increased their life expectancy. In fact, the NAD+ levels rose significantly, and in about a week, the tissues and muscles of the older mice looked similar to that of younger mice. Some testimonials of individuals taking NAD+ in pill form. “Sinclair…. does not experience hangovers and jetlagged like he used to, he talks faster, and feels sharper and younger. His father takes it to. He’s 78 and used to act like Eeyore … Now he is going on 6 day hikes and traveling around the world.” Another co-director Leonard Guarente “It’s not intended to extend people’s life spans, but to help them stay healthier for longer.” And Sir Richard Roberts, winner of the 1993 Nobel Prize in physiology or medicine “the only difference I’ve noticed is that the skin on my elbows is smoother than it used to be. Whether it’s Basis [Name of the supplement] or something else, I have no idea.” By bringing Basis to the market as a supplement and not as a drug, it’s not required to undergo years of clinical research and FDA approval. Also, a number of Nobel laureates have endorsed the supplement, but have not reported whether or not they have been paid. Because I would like to run forever, this product interests me. I have entered a tough 10 mile trail competition this Saturday. Having a three month trial, I will compare my running time to previous races over the last five years. After this Coloma River Run, I’ll evaluate and determine whether or not I’ll continue taking this anti – aging product. Eliminating hangovers, jet lags, talking faster, and traveling around the world are not my priorities. However, being able to run daily is important for me. Remember, my motto is “keep moving. PS Tony is joining me on the Coloma River Run. He doesn’t believe in taking supplements. However, after the run, we will compare our running times, and likely laugh. Once my wife Linda heard about this aid and my intention, she said “I want to start taking this pill too.”

No comments:

Post a Comment