Thursday, January 25, 2018

Just Do It

I smiled when I read an article titled “Where to Get Healthier This Year.” In the January 14, 2018 edition of The New York Times. According to the Global Wellness Industry, which is a nonprofit organization for the industry, the wellness travel market grew to $563 billion in 2015 compared to $489 billion in 2013. A few examples are as follows: 1. Four Seasons Hotel Los Angeles and Beverly Hills has seven wellness rooms in partnership with the real estate company Delos. Amenities include toiletries from the beauty brand Lather, air purification systems that reduce allergens and promote restful sleep, showers with chlorinator’s and healthy in room dining menus created in collaboration with the Cleveland Clinic. 2. In the adventure cruise line, Linblad Expeditions in partnership with the exercise and spa brand Exhale began a series of three and four day well-being trips in the Baja Peninsula in Mexico. Activities range from kayaking around the Baja shore line, snorkeling with sea lions, and classes led by Exhale for power yoga and high intensity interval training. 3 Intrepid Travel in partnership with Golden Triangle: Yoga, and Bollywood includes three days in the city of Rishikesh to practice yoga on the banks of the Ganges. 4. Singapore Airlines introduced Deliciously Wholesome in-flight meals which are rich in complex carbohydrates, lean protein, and fiber. 5. Delta Airlines offers guided meditation at its Asanda Spa Lounges in the Sky Clubs at John F. Kennedy International and the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport. The service is called the Deepak Chopra Dreamweaver. In Denver’s International airport, one can practice meditation and yoga in the airports Concourse A. This is called Yoga on-the-Fly. This is a studio with five 60 ft.² rooms that offer iPads loaded with yoga and meditation sessions. My travel incorporates a lifestyle that is more economical. For example, I always take my running shoes, socks, running shirt, tights, water bottle, power bars and running hat on every trip regardless of driving or flying. Second, when at the airport, I always stand or walk. Third, when, on the plane, I walk the aisles and stand in the back of the plane during the flight. Fourth, while in my seat on the plane, I perform progressive relaxation and focus on my breathing. Fifth, I keep hydrated by drinking plenty of water. Dining can be a little more complicated as far as proper nutrition. Breakfast is generally oatmeal, fresh fruit and coffee. Sometimes, I even bring my blender, for a smoothie, if the location doesn’t have one. While eating lunch and dinner, I tend to eat as much veggies as I can. At my destination, I incorporate both the weight room, equipment and go out for a run. Going out for a morning run allows me to familiarize myself while learning about my new environment .I also find a Pickle Ball court for games. Just last Sunday, going out for a trail run with Paul, Tony and our two Border collie’s; we encountered a runner; we made a comment; and he replied something to the effect “just being out here is the key.” One important thing about health: Just keep moving. PS Yesterday, I began tapering for my Jed Smith 50 K ultra-run on February 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment