Saturday, January 21, 2017

Run for Your Brain Part 2

In this study, lab rodents were used as subjects. The researchers made three groups 1.The running group allowed the rodents to run at will on their running wheels.2. Resistant training group involved having them climb a wall with tiny weights attached to their tails. 3. High intensity interval training group had the animals sprint on a treadmill with a rapid and strenuous pace for three minutes, followed by two minutes at a slower pace. This entire sequence was repeated twice more, for a total of 15 minutes of running. Each group was subjected to over seven weeks in the experiment. Then the researchers examined the brain tissue in the hippocampus for each group. The findings showed that distance running, stimulated more release of B. D. N. F. than the other two groups. The resistance or weight training group however, demonstrated more muscular health benefits. One can argue about the research methodology in each of these studies. Remember, using animals for research has been long-standing. Thank you, Charles Darwin. What struck me was the fact that nutrition, vitamins, and supplements were not variables at all. The one variable that got my attention was movement or exercise. For these studies, we still don’t know or have clear definitions of vigorous or strenuous exercise per age or age group. At this juncture, each individual must create their own regimen of movement and/or physical exercise program. These research findings suggested that physical exercise is a significant key for memory, attention and hippocampus growth. I would be surprised if I developed Alzheimer’s or some form of dementia. Since my late 50s, or for the past 20 years or so, I have been, on average, running at least 50 miles per week. Also included have been some form of free weight training and/or doing chin-ups and push-ups. To know if my regime is working, I need to be tested for memory and attention, and my level of neurogenesis growth in my hippocampus. There might or might not be appropriate norms to compare me with others. For example, in my most recent competitive 10 mile trail run, there were only 4 other participants in my age group. That suggests that there are many non-trail runners in my age group. In signing off, remember this motto “keep moving.”

No comments:

Post a Comment