Sunday, August 31, 2014

Michigan 52,Appalachian State 14

 "Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even."
– Muhammad Ali


Michigan 52, Appalachian State 14
Late last week I had conversations with Thom Darden, the first Wolfman for Bo Schembechler and Mike Keller, who played linebacker and defensive end for the Wolverines. Both were All-Americans and played professional football. Thom was considered one of the top Cleveland Browns in their history while Mike became the first player- scout in NFL history for the world champion Dallas Cowboys. Mike said, because of his play, that he made Thom All-American and, of course, Thom made the same claim regarding Mike.
I talked with both former players about Michigan’s first game with Appalachian State on August 30 and their enthusiasm about watching the game. I taped the game because I did in early morning trail run. After my run of about 10 miles or so, Linda and I watched the slaughter. Gardner, Funchess, Smith and Green and the offensive line were superb on offense. I’ll ask Darden and Keller for their critique regarding the defense. I’m looking forward to our book signings this coming September.
Also, Jim Brandstatter , the voice of the Wolverines is joined this year by Dan Dierdorf. Dierdorf retired from CBS TV where he was a color analyst for NFL football. Dierdorf was not only an All-American, but also is in the NFL Hall of Fame. Brandstatter played behind Dierdorf while at Michigan. According to Jim, the reviews for the two of them were great.
For more about Darden, Keller, Brandstatter, and Dierdorf I refer you to “Bo’s Warriors.”  I’m also looking forward to meeting and sharing the stage with Michigan’s head football coach Brady Hoke in Ann Arbor. I’ll keep you posted regarding other events.
In the meantime, Go Blue Go! Looking forward to next Saturday’s game in South Bend with Notre Dame on September 6.

For my take on depression and aging, check out my other blog “It Has Nothing to Do with Age.”

No comments:

Post a Comment